Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Hollandaise Over Everything

My hollandaise sauce
(after a lifetime of whisking).
I'm obsessed with hollandaise sauce. This is something that I accept of myself, because I know that I will order absolutely anything from a restaurant if there is hollandaise sauce on top. I would drink it with a straw, even though that would put me in a 'hollan-daze'. I would pay for the re-write of a Frank's RedHot commercial so that hollandaise could finally receive the publicity it deserves. I would spend more time telling you what I would do with hollandaise sauce, but my word count would max. out.

Going to buy meat is always an event for me. The drive out to a farm or store is at least 30 minutes and I try to do some advanced menu planning so I only have to make the trip every other week.

This week I picked up some fresh trout and, among other things, a dozen duck eggs. Duck eggs are delicious. They are richer in flavour and higher in protein than chicken eggs (click here for a quick guide to egg comparison.) They are also higher in fat, making the duck egg perfect for a thick, creamy hollandaise sauce that you can pour over anything or everything, including a beautiful baked trout fillet.

Hol-lain-daise O-ver Ev-ery-thing.

Trout is easy. It bakes quickly in high heat, which is ideal since hollandaise requires a bit of time and attention. As for the veg, anything goes. Asparagus would be nice in the spring, green beans would work any time, but on this occasion, I'm having mine with a sauté of organic king oyster and shiitake mushrooms (and a glass of Chardonnay.)

Get the recipe here.

No comments:

Post a Comment