Thursday, February 12, 2015

Je T'aime

A short stack of macarons.
You know it's almost Valentine's Day is when the cold, dark Winter gets painted shades of pink and red, and the resolutions of the New Year get tossed out the window in favour of cinnamon hearts. This post is a departure from my "real food" theme, but it is in the spirit of treats. This year, I'm treating my valentine to something he affectionately refers to as those things.

Ah - the french macaron. The delicate dessert that has fans swooning all over Paris. If you can't make it to LadurĂ©e, you can whip up a batch yourself, but you'll need practice, patience, and a scale.

I think part of the appeal of the french macaron is its look - two meringue clouds sandwiched together with ganache, buttercream or jam - how adorable!  

You can go the traditional route with the standard size and fun pastels or you can switch it up with flavours or minis. I've seen some beautiful heart-shaped cookies, but I lack the skill-set to execute anything but the classic recipe. These little treats are so finicky, but they're worth the effort. 
Macarons waiting patiently for the oven.
There are so many macaron recipes available online; I usually like to browse through foodgawker for inspiration, it's a photo gallery that links blogs throughout the world (and it really gets the stomach going.) After hours of hard work, both me and my Valentine were so delighted to snack on a stack of macarons that we ignored the stomach aches after eating so many, and I may or may not have had one for breakfast.

Get the recipe here.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment