Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Warm Cinnamon Rolls

Drizzling cream cheese icing
over warm cinnamon rolls.
Cinnamon Rolls; does anything compare? Warm, buttery dough with a spiral of sweet spice through the centre. Top them with cream cheese frosting and you have the Saturday morning breakfast of goddesses (/gods.)

I'd been fantasizing about cinnamon rolls for a long time, but I didn't want to ruin my craving with your run-of-the-mill, mass manufactured cinnamon roll. I wanted an at-home roll, the kind that fills your kitchen with that sweet aroma to the point that you feel you are living inside of the cinnamon roll.

A ball of dough ready to rise.
The only thing between me and the cinnamon rolls of my dreams was the yeast. I tried to use yeast in a recipe about 3 years ago and after wasting all three packs on an unsuccessful attempt, I came to terms with the fact that it wasn't going to happen for me. I picked myself back up and recently bought another 3-pack of yeast with my cinnamon roll craving in mind. A lazy Saturday morning was upon me, so I scoured Google and Foodgawker for "easy cinnamon roll" recipes, and I came across a gem. Minimalist Baker enticed me with "The World's Easiest Cinnamon Rolls" and I haven't looked back since.

This recipe turned out perfectly. I made some minor adjustments, substituting real butter, whole wheat flour and organic cane sugar for the originals. The buns were rich and dense, which is the perfect way to balance out a cup of black coffee.

Get the recipe here.

No comments:

Post a Comment